Post Management, Google Plus, and You
Since Google+ is more than just posting photos, I thought I’d continue yesterday’s tips post with a quick run down of how I manage actual posts (consumption and sharing) in the same fast action fashion.
There’s so many effective ways to share and manage content on Google+, especially if you factor in the plethora of Chrome Extensions that you can add to enhance your experience. Personally, I use one extension – Replies and More, this puts the notification bar in a fixed position (up top), and adds a “Reply to Author” and a “Reply” link to commenters in the stream’s posts (and the Notification window). It also adds a little drop down for Share (on Twitter | on Facebook). Handy.
That said, here’s my list of Extensionless Ways to Manage Google+ Shares… without any fluffy commentary:
Quick Sharing Tips
- Directly share to a Circle faster by selecting the Circle you want to share with first
- Directly send a message to a single user by removing the Circle or “Public” and just typing the user’s name
Sharing a video is pretty simple, just drop a link right into the Share Box. Supported networks are:
Note: You can remove the link from the post box after the link has been parsed and appears under the Share box
For fast replies, I use the Notification Bar to comment:
The Notification Bar isn’t always the best way to do it, but I hate commenting in the Stream so, the other method:
- Click the Timestamp to open the conversation in a new window
- Option: Use Ctrl+Click (or Cmd+Click) to open it in a new tab
- Note: This will also give you the permalink to a post, so you can share it on Facebook / Twitter or your blog, etc.
For all the posts you author you are given an options menu different than the others in your Stream (obviously).
- Edit & Delete is run of the mill stuff, this is how I do it. Editing from the Post View is by far the easiest for me
- Report or remove comments: This activates little Flags and X’s next to all the comments in the thread
- Disable Comments & Disable reshare are handy little things
The basic underlying thing here is – get away from the Stream if you’re going to do anything more extensive than a quick pop in to a post. If you’re having a conversation in a post with a lot of people – considering opening it up in it’s own window / tab or otherwise.
- Mentions: https://plus.google.com/notifications/mentions
- Circle Add Notification: https://plus.google.com/notifications/circle
- Comments on Your Posts: https://plus.google.com/notifications/myposts
- Comment Notifications: https://plus.google.com/notifications/otherposts
- Photo tags: https://plus.google.com/notifications/phototags
- All Notifications: https://plus.google.com/notifications/all
That really kinda covers the whole Commenting and Posting “common” tips, at least how I’ve grown to use it. Have a tip of your own? Put it in the comments, be sure to leave your Google+ profile details, so I can attribute accordingly.
07.27.11 • posted in: Technology